After a fairly good start to the birding year, here is an updated 2012 birding target list:
Freckled Duck (Stictonetta naevosa); Chestnut Teal (Anas castanea), I’m still checking all the Grey Teals I see(in reality I should have been checking my photo library);
- Royal Spoonbill (Platalea regia), beginning to think these are fictitious;
- Terek Sandpiper (Xenus cinereus);
Bridled Tern (Onychoprion anaethetus)– crippling views on a pelagic;
- Roseate Tern (Sterna dougallii);
- Mulga Parrot (Psephotus varius);
- Shining Bronze-Cuckoo (Chalcites lucidus), not sure how I’ve managed to avoid this one;
- Southern Emu-wren (Stipiturus malachurus);
- Redthroat (Pyrrholaemus brunneus);
- Gilbert’s Whistler (Pachycephala inornata);
Little Grassbird (Megalurus gramineus), a somewhat embarrassing hole in my list; Red-browed Finch (Neochmia temporalis), got to go check out that feral population in the hills..
- * Malleefowl (Leipoa ocellata), a remote chance near the site I work at;
- * Inland Dotterel (Charadrius australis);
- * Painted Button-quail (Turnix varius);
- * Southern Scrub-robin (Drymodes brunneopygia).
New additions to the list are marked with an *.